Old Mates Farm
Old Mates Farm is located just 1.5 hours from Cairns or just 20 minutes from Atherton on the beautiful Atherton Tablelands. This makes it a perfect central location for taking day tours or enjoying enjoying all of the activities that Old Mates Farm has to offer.
Please consider our neighbours and drive slowly and carefully on Hemmings Lane. Pre-bookings are essential, please do not enter the property without a confirmed reservation.
238 Hemmings Lane
Upper Barron QLD 4883
0457 521 073 (SMS this number on arrival)
PREBOOKINGS ARE ESSENTIAL!
There is no entry to Old Mates Farm without pre-booking or written permission.
Your hosts Tony & Lou.
Find us on Google Maps
Booking Process with Old Mates Farm
- Nominate your camp leader to coordinate your booking
- Gather all of your camp groups details (How many, names, kids ages, vehicle rego, make and model, mobile number, email, ETA for check-in)
- Review our FAQs, Terms & Conditions and Cancellation Policy
- Make your booking request online for your preferred campsite
- Add or Remove Firewood to your booking (optional)
- Old Mates Farm will review your booking and email a confirmation
- Pay via credit card online using the link in the confirmation email
- Join our Facebook group and get excited about your stay
- You will receive an SMS a day before arrival confirming your campsite
- SMS check-in when you arrive at the gate (no check-ins after sunset; 5.30pm mid-winter, 6.30pm mid-summer)
- Check-in from 1pm, Check-out by 11am. *requests considered and subject to approval depending on other bookings and maintenance requirements.
- Old Mate will deliver your firewood and visit to make sure you are settled in ok.
- Enjoy your stay at Old Mates Farm!
Camping at Old Mates Farm is not necessarily suited to everyone.
Please check the following terms and conditions before booking.
OLD MATES FARM do not supply refunds for bookings that are cancelled by the guests. You will be offered Camp Credit to the value of any unused portion of your booking. Subject to OLD MATES FARM discretion. Camp Credit is to be used at mutually acceptable dates.
OLD MATES FARM do not supply refunds for bookings that are cancelled by the guests. You will be offered Camp Credit to the value of any unused portion of your booking, except when:
Cancellations less than 4 days of check-in date - no camp credit offered.
Cancellations less than 7 days of check-in date - 50% camp credit offered.
If your booking is cancelled by OLD MATES FARM for any reason, you will receive a full refund to the same credit card used to pay for your booking. Please note that refunds can take up to 7 days depending on your bank.
FAQ and Terms & Conditions
• ALL guests/vehicles/groups must be pre-approved by a confirmation email from OLD MATES FARM at least 24 hours prior to check in.
• Only those vehicles and persons listed on the Booking are approved to enter this Private Property.
• Late requests for extra guests/vehicles/groups can only be considered subject to overall site areas capacity.
• Multiple group bookings should finalise their overall numbers early to avoid disappointment.
• Day Visitors – see below.
• If you are completing this form on behalf of other people/vehicles/groups camping with you, It is your responsibility to ensure they have read, understood and will comply with these Terms and Conditions.
• Ensure to provide all details requested and any extra information that OLD MATES FARM should know for your booking.
• Prompt confirmation of your camping request relies on all details for each family group / vehicle being provided on your booking request.
We do not have a manned front office like some other camping grounds. It is self-check in and signage will guide you to your campsite area.
You will receive a phone text a day before your arrival. This will have your campsite name and other check in information. Including COVID-19 information.
Check-in from 1pm, Check-out by 11am. *requests considered and subject to approval depending on other bookings and maintenance requirements.
Definitely no check ins after sunset (5.30 pm mid-winter, 6.30pm mid-summer). Please keep in mind feeding takes place 4.00pm – 4.30pm (check for current time), so check in maybe delayed if arriving at this time.
- Use your vehicle only for entering and exiting the property. Or for the collection of potable drinking water or Jacks Firewood at the front gate. No Exceptions.
- The speed limit is 15 k/m (or less).
- Please observe the safety for our free-range children, walkers, cyclists, horses, and other animals.
- Drive only on the Tracks (not Trails) nominated on the map provided upon entry.
- Please “park/walk/ride”. This reduces the amount of traffic on the property and makes it safer for all.
- Campers, caravans and RV's up to 6.5 metres (21 ft) (in expanded position) including drawbar is available anywhere on the property.
- Campers, caravans and RV’s up to 7.5 metres (24 ft) (in expanded position) including drawbar may be considered at Horseshoe site only. Please ask when making a booking request.
- Vehicles, campers, caravans and RV’s height limit is 3.0 metres (NB: this is a nature based camping ground. There may be some small branches hanging lower than 3.0 metres.
- Your vehicle must be adequate for towing your camper/caravan/trailer up and down the steep gravel tracks.
- 4WD – AWD accessible during reasonable weather and ground conditions.
- 2WD access is possible to most sites during good weather and ground conditions. However, there are some steeper gravel hills that prohibit 2WD’s from towing trailers up the hills, particularly front wheel drives.
- Prolonged wet weather will restrict 2WD’s access to the campsites.
- This is a nature based no-power campground. Please note item #21 regarding use of Generators.
4. Opening Times
• Open Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday. We are also trialling opening some sites on a Thursday throughout the year.
• Closed – Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday (Except for school holidays).
*Closed Annually during wet season: Generally December to March. See available dates on the booking calendar.
5. Camp Sites & Camp Areas
• We have “camp sites” located within different “camping areas”.
• A “camping area” will be allocated to you based on the number of people, vehicles, 4WD/AWD/2WD, - ground conditions, campers or tents, dogs/no dogs etc. We may need to change your site from your initial request for one of these reasons.
• 4WD access is available to all sites. AWD/2WD is possible to the campsites in good weather conditions, or remote parking is available.
• Firewood is available to be delivered to your site at $40 for a 50kg load. Orders must be placed before noon.
• Jack's Hardwood is available by self-serve at the entrance anytime. $10 per 10kg bag, $10 for bag of kindling, or you may BYO.
• Definitely no scavenging for firewood on the property (fallen timber is deliberately left as a resource for OLD MATES FARM or for wildlife habitat on our farm).
• BYO Axe.
7. Day trip visitors
• Subject to overall site capacity and at OLD MATES FARM discretion.
• Only by pre-approval - Ensure to provide the following to OLD MATES FARM management prior to entry for pre-approval.
• Names and number of people
• Mobile phone number
• Vehicle type & colour
• Registration number
• The guest seeking approval for day visitors needs to provide a copy of these Terms & Conditions to the day visitors.
• If approval is given, the person bringing the day visitors must meet them at the gate and escort them to your campsite.
8. Dogs (pets)
• only domestic, well socialised dogs upon request and approval
• must be restrained
• no dogs allowed inside Camp Huts
• kept on tight lead when around the farm animals’ area
• are bought to the farm at your own risk (no responsibility accepted from OLD MATES FARM).
• owners are responsible for their dogs’ actions and impact on others
• Not sure? Please don’t bring them
• Maximum of 2 dogs per camp area (not per vehicle).
• No other animals – (no cats).
• Wild dog baiting (1080 poison) programs are undertaken in this area from time to time.
• Ensure your dogs are treated for ticks.
9. Toilet & Shower Facilities (see map)
• Toilet & shower located at the Barn area.
• Toilet & shower located near Horseshoe camping area.
• Toilet & shower located at Drovers camping area.
• Toilet & shower located at Skull Gate camp area.
• Hot shower - $2 coin per 5 minutes
• “leave no trace”
• please take with you on departure, or
• you may SORT & PLACE in the bins provided. Please do not place unsorted rubbish into the bins
• Please do not place rubbish outside of the bin enclosures.
• Please ensure that rubbish is not accessible by wildlife during your stay.
• Bush camping and Swimming – OLD MATES FARM offers a bush camping experience close to rivers, creeks and dams. The rivers, creeks and dams are not fenced and therefore children need to be fully supervised by the adults that bring them to the farm. The operators of OLD MATES FARM offer no mitigation or assistance to these risks.
• There are many other risks associated with visiting a working farm.
• Seasonal ticks, leeches, bull ants, wait-a-while, and other flora and fauna are prevalent at some times. Make sure you have an adequate 1st Aid Kit to deal with these issues.
• Please ensure that all guests wear shoes.
• Please do not visit OLD MATES FARM if you do not accept all the risks associated with the property.
12. Farm animals & Feeding – Currently being held with COVID-19 Restrictions. Guests can visit the animal’s area during the day.
• Approach all animals with caution.
• Feeding takes place late afternoon daily (ask when checking in for current feed time). All welcome.
• No entry into the animal enclosures without staff supervision.
• Please help us by supervising your excited children
• No shouting, running, or chasing animals or chickens
13. Potable (drinking) water – is available near the front entry gate. Please bring a suitable container(s) to take back to your campsite. Do not drink from any other water sources.
14. The Emergency Management Plan is available at the toilet facilities. This includes information on:
• Evacuation Plan
• Medical Emergency
15. First Aid Kits
• Very basic First Aid boxes are available at the toilet facilities.
• All vehicles should carry their own comprehensive First Aid Kit.
• Campfires in designated fireplaces only. Subject to any fire bans by Queensland Fire & Emergency Services, and/or OLD MATES FARM.
• Please extinguish unattended fires
• Burnable material only in the fires. (no glass, cans etc.) Leave your fireplace clean and tidy for the next campers.
17. Motorbikes, Quadbikes and the like - not to be ridden on the property except for the purposes of entry and exit.
18. Injuries – please report to OLD MATES FARM management
19. No Hunting - No Firearms, Weapons or Hunting Dogs
20. Noise – No loud music (not to be heard at other people’s campsites), no parties. Quiet conversation only after 9pm. Enjoy the natural sounds of the day and night. This is a family friendly venue.
21. Power and Generators – No site power available. Generators must be a low noise type. Can be used minimally (maximum 1 hour per day) between 7am - 6pm.
22. Gates. Closed gates - leave closed. Open gates - leave open.
23. Native animals – approach with caution. Inexperienced persons with supervision only. Please do not feed the wildlife.
24. Flora & Fauna – “leave no trace” observe and enjoy only.
25. Feral animals – please advise OLD MATES FARM
26. Mobile phones – coverage can be patchy but is available from many vantage points on the property.
27. Bicycles – bring your own. Many trails, tracks and roads that can be ridden (at your own risk). Wear your helmets.
28. Horse riding trails shared with free range walkers, cyclists, and animals. Horse paddocks available for overnight stays. Horse riding can be arranged by contacting our neighbour – Tait's Wongabel Stables 4091 2070
29. Old Mates Barn – is out of bounds in the chained off area. No Entry
30. Old Mates Trails – The signposts have an Old Mates Farm logo attached to them, with an arrow underneath. Follow these arrows to return to Old Mates Barn.
31. Queensland Road Regulations are also applicable on Old Mates Farm. Drive slowly. No riding outside of vehicles. No driving under influence of alcohol.
32. COVID-19 safety plan is available for viewing at the Barn area (see map). A printed or emailed copy of the COVID-19 safety plan is available on request.